Monday, November 21, 2011

Dear Poppy: You have Grandparents...and Lots of Friends!

Dear Poppy,

A lot has happened since we wrote last. We got insurance, got a positive pregnancy test from the doctor (duh) and found out that we won't get a sonogram until around 16-20 weeks. So...we had to come up with a different idea to tell my parents. I wanted to get something cute for my mom - mainly because she loves presents and getting her a gift telling her she's going to be a Grandmother would totally shocker her - so we headed to the closest store: Walmart.

Surprisingly, they didn't have a great selection...I was looking for a book or journal for grandparents, but came up empty-handed. So, we went to the baby section and found a set of bibs that talk about Grandma. We wrapped them up in tissue paper and put them in a gift bag. We ended up meeting Mom for dinner and I once again had to say NO to a beer and get a laugh from her. I used to be quite the drinker, and everyone says I can still have a drink here and there, but I'm not risking it yet.

Anyways, we got home and Mom went into her room to change. I called her name to come out to the kitchen and told her we got her something. Of course, she was thrilled that we bought something for her...until she started opening the bag.

Her face went blank and we couldn't tell if she was excited or mad! She asked us a few times if it was a joke...if we were kidding...and we kept saying no! Finally, she started crying and I gave her a huge hug. I still had to whisper in her ear, "Are these happy tears?" And she said, "YES!" She hasn't stopped talking about it since. She is SO EXCITED to be a grandmother and is going to spoil you rotten, Poppy!

The harder of the two to tell was my dad...the extremely Republican Catholic man who raised me to do everything by the books. He did a great job raising me, but sometimes life happens and here we are! We started a tradition when we moved home to bring Tony's Donuts to my Dad's house every Saturday and this past Saturday was no different. I barely ate mine in anticipation of telling him...my stomach was in knots and I couldn't stop smiling at Daddy.

There was a break in conversation and I said, "Well, we have something to tell you...you're going to be a grandfather!" Mid-chew, he said, "What?!" Then he calmed down and was extremely excited for us, too. I couldn't have asked for better reactions from my parents!

Saturday night, Grandma and I hosted a Stella and Dot party for her girlfriends from "The Hill." You will understand one day. :) Anyways, we broke the news and they were so excited! Mom was the first of her friends to have a baby, and is now the 2nd of her friends to be a grandma. They all kept talking about a baby shower - you are going to be SO SPOILED

Sunday, Daddy and I decided to go to Buffalo Wild Wings to watch football, eat wings and drink beer....well, O'Douls for me! While we were there, my girlfriends were texting me about Wednesday night - Thanksgiving Eve - AKA always a night to not remember. Moe lives in Boston and probably won't make it up, so I just had to tell her! I am busting at the seams to tell everyone! I texted her that I couldn't drink on Wednesday night...6 seconds later, I got a phone call from her. :) 

So, a lot of people are finding out, but we are still not telling everyone. It won't be "Facebook Official" until after the New Year probably, but it's out in the blog world and shared with friends and family. 

That's all for now...you are still letting me know that you are there...saltines and Ginger Ale are my new best friends. 



I love you!!

Mom

1 comment:

MCW said...

So excited for you two!